Today marks 2 years since my mother Geok Lee's passing in 2012.
This photo was taken at the airport, right before I left for my full-time missionary service for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in June 2012. Credits to my brother-in-law Jay!
It was the last time I saw Mom.
I cannot summarize all the lessons she has taught me and the legacy she has left behind all in one Facebook post, but I can share the one big lesson I've learnt recently thanks to her.
When I set off for my missionary service, Mom wrote me a letter full of advice and expressions of her love for me. She wrote about the unconditional love that she has for. This unconditional love is regardless of whatever I do - right or wrong, regardless of whether I bring her joy or grief. She loved me simply because I am her son, and always will be.
She always loved me no matter how many times I messed up and caused her grief, no matter how many times I felt undeserving. Her only hope was that each day, I will become a better man than I was the day before.
It was easy to take such love for granted, and I did not quite fully understand what such love meant until I had completed my mission.
As I look back on it now, I realize that my mother demonstrated the pure love of Christ. It is the kind of love that never gives up on anyone, no matter how wretched they think themselves to be. Christ suffered and gave His life to save us all from sin and death. Mom suffered the pains of breast cancer to live one day more, every day, to continue to nurture me and my siblings. She fought to live on so that she could continue to guide us and support us, so that we can be the best we'll ever be. Her love for us was the strongest force for good in our lives.
I am eternally grateful to what her life has meant to me and my siblings. Although I continue to stumble and make foolish mistakes, I am learning the great lesson of what it means to love unconditionally, as Mom did. As Christ does.

Jay Liu with Han Chong and 2 others
 
UnlikeUnlike ·  ·